Experiment 1: A lab notebook for developing an ontology for Infective Endocarditis

This is the start of an experiment in keeping a weblog of my efforts in developing an ontology for Infective Endocarditis as an extension of the Infectious Disease Ontology (IDO). I started developing this about 3 years ago but then put it on hold when I changed jobs last year. The break, however, has been good because a few things changed in this past year. An Ontology for General Medical Science (OGMS) based on the Basic Formal Ontology (BFO) was started last year and has made good progress. The Core IDO model has also evolved during this time and now uses OGMS as general medical framework ontology.
The Infective Endocarditis (IE) extension of IDO (called IDO-IE) was originally developed directly using Basic Formal Ontolgy (BFO), and the model evolved, in hindsight, quite haphazardly. So now that a Core-IDO based on OGMS and BFO is available, I will once again begin from a clean slate and add the IE related terms. This blog will be my lab notebook where I will record my efforts in building a IDO-IE model.
This entry was posted in Infectious Diseases, Medical Informatics, Medicine, Ontology. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s